Security Advisory: Phishing Emails
TIME OF OCCURRENCE:
Monday June 1, 2020
There is a recent phishing email on campus that appears to be from the Dr. Ricketts with a title Corona-virus (COVID-19) information for the Acadia University. The email contains a PDF attachment called Acadia University. For many, it appeared in your quarantine. This email also had the External email caution. It appear as:
CAUTION: This email comes from outside Acadia. Verify the sender and use caution with any requests, links or attachments.
Dear Members of the Acadia University,
It is amazing how quickly we can adapt in extraordinary times. Staying at home, meeting with colleagues by video and lining up at the grocery store – a hockey stick apart – have all become part of our new routine. And as anxious as everyone is to resume life the way it used to be, we know that returning to packed commuter trains, major sporting events, and large family gatherings will take time and require a lot of careful thought and planning, I wish we had all of the answers. What we do know is that there will be a fall term. But whether that term is held in person, or in a virtual classroom, or a mixture of both, is not something the University can control.
Fortunately, we have time to prepare. Acadia University has innovation in its DNA and an incredible history of developing new approaches to teaching and learning that have reshaped higher education in countries around the world. Continuing that legacy is a mission accelerated by COVID-19, and departments and programs are already planning and developing new ways to create virtual classrooms that will teach and inspire students.
Detailed information about our Strategic plan can be found in the attachment to this email all employees including full-time or part-time employment are required to go through the attachment.
Office of the President & Vice-Chancellor
15 University Avenue
Wolfville, NS B4P 2R6
- Delete the email.
- If you received the email and clicked on the attachment, please contact the Service Desk using the Report a Cybersecurity or Privacy Event HUB Request: https://hub.acadiau.ca/TDClient/Requests/ServiceDet?ID=188. You will be asked to leave a call back number.
- Change your password via the Acadia Central Portal “Forgot Password”
- Please report suspected phishing using the Phish Alert Button (or forward to firstname.lastname@example.org) or inform the Service Desk.
- Steps you can take to protect yourself:
- Practice Safe Password Hygiene:
- Use strong passwords
- Use the mantra - Unique Account; Unique Password
- Use a password manager. See the following HUB article for information on the best Password Manager for you: https://hub.acadiau.ca/TDClient/KB/ArticleDet?ID=864
- Use separate emails and accounts for your home and work life.
- Keep a clean up-to-date device.
- Take the 2020 Cybersecurity Awareness training available to you at KnowBe4.com
All proposed changes are reviewed by a Change Advisory Board and, where possible, scheduled between 5-7:30 am (Atlantic Time). Once approved, they are placed on a Maintenance Calendar.
Using the HUB continues to be the best way to receive support and answers to your questions. Thank you for your patience as our support protocols shift.
Follow our Tuesday Tech Tips - https://hub.acadiau.ca/TDClient/KB/?CategoryID=124
Acadia Technology Services