This site contains information about the technology – laptops and software – that is available to you at Acadia. From laptop purchases and support, free Collaboration tools via Microsoft Office 365 and classroom software, the Technology Store is available to you.
The Service Desk is available to assist you with any questions you have about the purchase. You can contact us using the Live Chat (Acadia email required) or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via the HUB Service Portal.
Optimized Laptops for Acadia
Each student is required to have a laptop that meets the recommended specifications similar to the models offered by our Online Tech Store. While you may purchase any laptop type that meets the University's requirements, we have several models that are designed to meet your academic needs.
The pricing, configurations, and warranty packages detailed in the web stores are specific to Acadia University.
The optimized laptops available in our tech store are provided by Dell and Apple, and all models come with the minimum specifications of an i5, 8GB of RAM, and a 256GB Flash Storage hard drive.
Here are the reasons for purchasing a laptop through our Tech Store:
- Onsite warranty repairs by Certified Technicians
We provide on-site hardware repairs, comprehensive software diagnosing as both an Apple and Dell certified repair site (for Students only).
- Tested in Acadia’s technology environment
We've tested the offered laptop models to make sure that they work with the existing Acadia network.
- Have your laptop delivered to Acadia for pickup
Buy your laptop through the Tech Store and you can have shipped to our office for easy pickup right on campus. Click here to see our address, and how to use it for shipping.
Before you begin your purchase please keep these these things in mind:
- If you are relying on Financial Aid for assistance getting a laptop please click on Need Help?
- Acadia only offers hardware support on notebooks matching the specifications of those listed on this page. Upgrades from the standard specifications may cause delays in on-campus repair times. For Apple users you can also get service and support with Apple by phone at 1-800-APL-CARE.
- Verify your specific program software requirements. Nutrition and/or Engineering programs require some Window's based programs that are not compatible with a Macbook Air and its M1 processors.
- Apple users may need Windows 10 Professional to run certain applications used in academic programs. A Macbook Pro with an Intel processor and a minimum of 256 GB storage is then required. Windows 10 is available from the Software Portal.
- Some academic software programs (Nutrition and Engineering) require a Windows Operating System. Please verify with your professor or Technology Services to ensure you purchase the correct laptop for your program.
- Students taking courses in Nutrition and/or Engineering with require a 256GB storage capacity hard drive.
- You will need a credit card to complete for your purchase online. For Apple, if you do not have a Canadian credit card you can make alternate arrangements by calling 1-800-MY-APPLE and indicate your are an Acadia student.
Purchase your Laptop
Now that you're ready to purchase your laptop through the Tech Store be aware you are going to leave the Acadia University’s web domain and enter one of the custom online stores made for Acadia on the Dell and Apple websites. The pricing, configurations, products, and warranty packages offered on these store sites are made available to you via the Acadia's participation with Dell and the Apple on Campus Program with Apple Inc.
Microsoft Office 365
The Modern Workplace
Tools that will allow you to connect, share and collaborate with anyone, on any device, from virtually anywhere. Members of the university community have access to cloud-based services that will increase storage capacity, enhance the ability to share and collaborate while improving the safety of your data.
As a registered Acadia student, faculty, or staff member, you have free access to Microsoft Office 365 products including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. You can install Office 365 on up to 5 computers, including both Windows and Apple computers.
You can work on documents using desktop apps, the Office website, and apps for iOS and Android. You'll receive 1TB of cloud storage so you can store your documents securely, collaborate with others in realtime, and easily keep your work in sync no matter where you edit it.
Your Microsoft Office 365 Collaborative Toolkit includes:
Email & Calendar
The university's email and calendars are in the cloud-based Office 365 boosting the storage capacity of your inbox, improving security features and integrates with the other Office 365 productivity tools.
OneDrive is a great place where you can store, sync, and share your files and documents. Save your files in OneDrive and access them from any device at any time.
Microsoft 365 Apps is the most productive and most secure Office experience with cloud-connected apps and services allowing your teams to work together seamlessly from anywhere, anytime.
Microsoft Teams is a collaboration app that helps your team stay organized and have conversations—all in one place.
Software is available via the Software Portal, through particular vendors and through Technology Services. If you require software for a class, your professor will provide you that information.
All students are provided with the Office 365 productivity suite. This includes desktop and cloud versions of its popular applications.
Some academic software programs (Nutrition and Engineering) require a Windows Operating System. Please verify with your professor or Technology Services to ensure you purchase the correct laptop for your program.
Academic Course Software
There are several places to locate specific academic software. Most course specific Academic Software is available through Technology Services or the Vendor. Requirements will be provided by your professor.
You can also purchase certain additional software titles from the Acadia University Software Portal. This portal will take you to a separate web domain. A credit card will be required for these purchases.
Software in the store is available to Faculty, Staff and Students. You will find software in such categories as: Productivity, Operating systems, Data analysis, Security, Photo,Video & Design, and Training.
Register with your Acadia User Name/Email address.
There are many anti-virus services/solutions available. Some are free (AVG, AVAST, Microsoft Security Essentials) and others you may subscribe to for a monthly fee. Paying for an anti-virus solution does not necessarily provide you with better protection; most paid versions include additional features that are not required to sufficiently protect yourself.